Faber & Faber
A website refresh for a cultural institution
Omni are everything you'd want in an agency: agile, creative, patient, efficient and technically very savvy. It's a pleasure working with them.
Matthew DeVille, Digital Marketing Manager – Faber and Faber
Having inherited a rather messy codebase and front-end (full of bugs) the challenge for this project was to create a website that presents Faber in the best possible light.
The aims for this re-design included:
- Promoting and featuring more content driven items and Social Networks such as Twitter, Flickr, YouTube, Blogs etc.
- A refresh and modernisation of the layout, front-end build and general design - creating a more pleasurable and efficient User Experience
- Improving the catalogue search feature and general search feature throughout the site
- Ensuring that logging-in is seamless and the basket process is as reassuring as possible
- Reducing the amount of time required to administer the website content
Omni spent a great deal of time understanding who Faber and Faber are as a publisher and it soon became clear that from this re-design they were looking to bring the site in-line with their new active vision of being perceived and presented as a 'Cultural Institution'.
Rather than serve as a 'catalogue' the emphasis was placed on producing rich content, related news, blogs, features, social media, apps, video and thought leader pieces, although the ecommerce angle clearly cannot be completely discounted as an important income generator and expected feature and function by users. Once this was understood, Omni quickly worked through a series of UI design templates, which answered all these questions and consequently, the site soon took shape.
The also site certainly had its technical obstacles as the back-end functionality talks to live book databases and a book shop system, which makes calls to databases, checking up to date pricing, details, covers, offers and availability.
Related Link: www.faber.co.uk
01.Faber Feature Pages
Faber Podcasts & Faber Gift Pages